The latest digital technologies in construction
Everything develops, nothing stands still. This also applies to the construction sector. In this article, we will introduce you to new technologies that are gradually entering the construction market.
Bim stands for building information model or modeling and is a model or modeling of building objects and, in general, any engineering structures. For example, buildings, utilities, transport facilities, and more. Bim is a special approach to design, which is the most comprehensive model development. This is not just a virtual building simulation, it encompasses the entire life cycle of an object, from design, construction, operation, and to demolition. It includes such levels of planning as architectural, design, economic, informational - everything that is related to the building. The peculiarity of this approach lies in the fact that the model is connected by a database in the cloud storage at all levels of its design and changes in any part entail changes in all related parameters. TE Adjustments, for example, water supply systems may entail automatic changes in the structure of the building, financial estimates, construction time and others. The obvious benefits of this approach are:
- Ability to track all changes in real time
- Visual vision of problematic moments and inconsistencies
- Share access to all project participants
- Safe adjustments
- Control of all processes and finances
- Minimizing errors
- Reduction of material and time costs
Artificial intelligence is the ability of computer programs to perform creative functions. A special area of this area is machine learning, which, based on the collection of static data, allows the program to draw its own conclusions and perform actions based on these conclusions. This technology is already being used for:
- Predicting security threats at construction sites
- Control processes and events
- Project planning
- Adjustments to the action plan
- Automation of routine processes
Iot - internet of things or internet of things. This concept includes several phenomena at once. The first is the devices that are connected to the network. The second is the way they are connected - m2m, "machine to machine," ie, without human intervention. The third is the data that the devices collect and process. In fact, these are various sensors on construction sites that collect data and special software that processes the data and gives the result to the operator. Iot helps:
- Increase productivity, due to the fact that company employees get a complete picture of what is happening at the construction site.
- Increase safety - sensors monitor the movements of builders in unsafe areas, hazardous emissions, equipment condition.
- Manage resources - the system controls the consumption and replenishment of resources in real time.
Vr and ar
Virtual and augmented reality are technologies that allow observing the future results of construction at all its stages. With ar, employees can see a virtual model superimposed on a real picture of the construction site on the tablet screens. While vr, for example, allows shoppers to walk through a residential complex and their future apartment using virtual reality glasses.
3D printing technology is rapidly developing in the construction industry. With its help, you can quickly and accurately create elements of future buildings directly on site. The material can be concrete, gypsum, clay, polymers, etc. Advantages of this technology:
- Fast element creation speed
- High precision of products
- Variety of options for shapes and materials
- Environmentally friendly
Robots will not completely replace a person at a construction site anytime soon. However, drones are already helping in construction. Here are some of the functions they can perform:
- Supply materials to the construction site
- Control security by tracking what is happening around the perimeter of the object
- Protect the construction site
Of course, these are not all innovations that can already be observed on construction sites around the world. Many technologies are still under development. We will keep you updated, follow the news in our social networks and on the website.