Sound insulation in the apartment
Silence in the house is a guarantee of both mental and physical health. Probably, each of us has at least once encountered a problem when noise from neighbors causes severe discomfort. Once and for all, you can get rid of this problem by performing sound insulation of your apartment. This is especially true for apartments in new buildings, because you do not know in advance which neighbors you will get. In addition, more and more often future residents make sound insulation so as not to interfere with their own parties and loud music to the rest of the residents of the house. In any case, to protect yourself and others from excessive noise means to increase the comfort of living at times, to make your home really cozy or truly festive, not to pay attention to other people's quirks and live for your own pleasure! In this article we will introduce you to the basic concepts of noise insulation in multi-storey buildings.
Types of noise
- Air. Based on the name, these are sounds that propagate in the air. These include noise from working electrical appliances, music, conversations, street noise.
- Shock. Such a sound occurs when two solid bodies strike. It spreads in a dense environment — in walls or ceilings. An example is the trampling of neighbors, slamming doors, falling objects and everyone's "favorite" punch.
- Constructive. This sound, as a kind of shock noise, is caused by the structural features of the building. For example, the noise of the elevator, ventilation or sewer pipes.
Permissible noise standards
The sound strength is measured in decibels. In Ukraine, noise standards are established in residential premises and for apartments they are as follows:
- 55 dB in the daytime.
- 45 dB at night.
Of course, it is possible to influence noisy neighbors with the help of legislation and authorities, but, as practice shows, it is much easier to perform high-quality sound insulation and no longer worry about such inconveniences.
Materials and technologies of sound insulation
The maximum effect of noise isolation can be achieved only by using multilayer structures with correct and consistent installation. You also need to take care of the sound insulation of not only the walls of the floor and ceiling, but also sockets, ventilation and other communications. There are two main technologies:
- Frame. This method is similar to the installation of ordinary drywall. First, a metal or wood structure is installed, the space is filled with sound-insulating material, plasterboard is attached on top, seams are insulated. Various types of cotton wool are used as a material.
- Frameless. Additional alignment of the walls is required here to ensure maximum contact of the soundproof material with the wall. The material of special sound insulation boards is attached directly to a flat wall, after which the seams are insulated and finished.
The ceiling insulation technology is similar, but a suspended ceiling is usually used instead of drywall. But as for the floor, it is desirable that the sound insulation has already been performed by the developer, as, for example, in our residential complexes. The technology is as follows: a special sound-absorbing coating is laid on the floor slab, and a screed is already applied to it. Thus, shock noises do not spread to the frame of the building and vice versa, the vibrations of the frame are not transmitted to the screed.
Frequent errors when performing noise insulation
- The use of cheap materials, such as foam. Not only do they lack the necessary qualities, but they can also emit toxic gases when ignited.
- Poor preparation of surfaces, cracks and holes. For example, mounting foam cannot be considered a full-fledged sound-proofing material.
- Standard fasteners. For good sound insulation, it is necessary to use a special fastening material that will not create so-called noise bridges.
- Lack of insulation of communications and sockets.
We have described the main points related to the sound insulation of apartments. Of course, all work of this kind can be done independently, but we still recommend contacting professionals. This will save you a lot of time, and the result will meet your expectations.